If you’ve been hurt in a bus crash on public transportation or on a private bus, you and your family may have the right to seek damages for your losses. While schools buses and even public transportation generally is quite safe, when accidents happen, they can leave victims and families wondering what they can do next. If you’ve been hurt while riding public transportation, the party at fault may be run by the local government. Making a claim against the government can be more complex than making a claim against a private entity or individual. Kruger & Hodges: Attorneys at Law is a bus accident law firm serving Oxford, Ohio that may be able to assist you with your case. Our lawyers can review the circumstances surrounding your accident, evaluate who the negligent parties might be, and fight to hold them accountable.
What Steps Can You Take After a Bus Accident to Protect Your Rights?
There are several steps you may be able to take after a bus accident in Oxford, Ohio to protect your rights. If you have questions about your case or claim after a crash, you may also want to speak to a bus accident lawyer like Kruger & Hodges: Attorneys at Law serving Oxford, Ohio. Our lawyers can further review your case and guide you on the next steps you can take to seek compensation, justice, and to protect your rights under the law. Here are some things you can do in the immediate aftermath of a crash to protect your interests:
- Report the Accident. If you suffered a slip and fall on public transportation property, report the accident to the bus driver or to a public transportation official. Call the police and make a report. Police and emergency personnel may also be able to get you the medical care you might need. If you were hurt in a bus crash, make sure that police have been called. A police report can be helpful if you need to seek damages following an accident and one can usually be obtained by making a records request.
- Seek Medical Care. If you’ve been hurt, don’t delay in seeking medical attention. Keep all records of medical care you receive, and follow up with your doctor as needed.
- Gather Information. Keep your bus ticket, take down the name of the bus driver, and exchange information with other passengers on the bus or other witnesses who may have seen what happened.
- Take Photos. If you can, take photos of the scene of the crash. While your memory might serve you when it comes to what happened, a picture can tell a bigger story about the vehicles involved and what may have taken place.
- Contact a bus accident law firm. The bus accident lawyers at Kruger & Hodges: Attorneys at Law serving Oxford, Ohio may be able to assist you with your case. Our lawyers understand that bus accident insurance may have higher policy limits and may offer coverage to the bus company in the event that a major bus accident occurs. Our attorneys can review your damages and injuries, estimate the value of your claim, and may be able to assist you with seeking compensation for your losses. However, bus accident claims can be complicated because in an accident involving multiple injuries and individuals, many people may be making a claim with the bus company’s insurance policy. A policy that may seem to have a high limit initially, may turn out to be insufficient to cover all injured individuals’ claims if multiple people in the bus accident suffer serious injuries. A bus accident lawyer may be able to review the claim to see what other options you and your family might have, including seeking damages from the bus company itself or from other responsible parties. If the responsible party is the public transportation system, a bus accident lawyer like Kruger & Hodges: Attorneys at Law serving Oxford, Ohio may be able to assist you with these types of claims as well. These claims may involve specific processes dictated by the government because suing a government entity is different than suing a private party.
These are just some of the things you can do after a bus accident to protect your rights. If you’ve been hurt in a bus accident, you are not alone. While you and your family might be facing unexpected medical bills and other costs, you may also have a range of options when it comes to seeking damages for your losses. Contact the bus accident lawyers serving Oxford, Ohio at Kruger & Hodges: Attorneys at Law today.